This blog has moved! Please visit my new website:

Collage books with Lokta papers, now on Etsy

>> Saturday, May 18, 2013

Handmade coptic book collage photo
I am constantly surrounded by beautiful, handmade papers. It's one of the perks of bookbinding. But sometimes, I've found that it takes a bit of a shakeup to see them in a new way.

My husband was working late one night, and as I rooted around in my paper scrap bin, I noticed an intriguing pairing of bright Lokta papers. These are among my favorite papers. They come in many gorgeous colors, have great texture, and are easy to work with. They respond well to glue and don't crinkle. Plus, they're sustainably made.

That night, I had a spur-of-the-moment urge to collage with these bits of paper. (Ironically, my husband often harps on me about all the scraps that I save, and it was only when he was away that I decided to put them to use.)

I began a free-form binding project without my usual careful planning. I focused on color matching.

Two coptic books by linenlaidfelt 
The first collage covers I made were striped. For the second, I assembled the papers in a patchwork. For this second book, I also rubbed away at pieces of the paper, distressing portions and allowing the color layers to blend. I also preserved the deckled edges of the pages and composed with those in mind.

The books I came up with — a sister set — are now in my Etsy shop. I hope you'll take a look, and show them to friends. They'd be good journals or sketchbooks or a fun guest book for a summer wedding.

:: Striped collage book
:: Patchwork collage journal

Handmade coptic books

2 comments:

Lizzie May 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM  

These are super Katie! I love what you did with all your scraps. And Patchwork is very trendy just now - I'm sure these will be popular. Gorgeous!

Katie May 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM  

Thank you both so much! I had a lot of fun transforming my scraps into these handbound journals.

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP